Monday, November 7, 2011

How to celebrate your birthday 4,000+ miles away from your friends & family

Your birthday.....It should be a time of fun and celebration, where you are made to feel special by everyone close to you.  In my family, it's the day you receive tons of phone calls from everyone in the family, wishing you birthday wishes and catching up on what's going on in your life. This year, however, was a very different birthday from the ones I have experienced in the past. It wasn't a bad different, it will just be the birthday that I will always remember as having spent it in another country, something I will be grateful to say in the future years to come. As far as birthday weekends go, it was pretty well spent! I even actually managed to find someone else whose birthday is the same day as mine, so we were able to do a joint celebration! After living here 5 weeks, I've been able to meet several other language assistants who are working and living here in the same town.  There are probably around 10 of us in all, which is absolutely fantastic, because now we can all meet up and do things together in town.  And that is exactly what we did all weekend.  I almost felt like it was a weekend full of traveling and site seeing because I was so exhausted by the end of it all...


Friday night I met up with some of the other assistants here in town and we spent the night getting acquainted.  Saturday, my new friend Stephanie, who hails from NC as well, came to Montlucon for the day where we celebrated my birthday by having the most fantastic burgers and beers at a local restaurant, plus some delicious pastries and macarons.  Sunday I met back up with the other assistants (my birthday buddy, Michael, who is British is amongst the other assistants crowd) at this market that takes place just on the other side of the bridge.  We bought 2 rotisserie chickens, 4 baguettes and 3 kilos of potatoes to take back the Michael's house, where we made a fabulous Sunday lunch.  I spent pretty much the rest of the afternoon in the company of the other assistants, and by the end of lunch I was full and my face hurt because I had been laughing so hard.  Not a bad way to feel on your birthday! If any of you reading this ever spend your birthday on another continent, I wish for you the same kind of birthday weekend that I was fortunate enough to be able to have!




Up next on my European adventures list is possibly a trip to Mont St. Michel this weekend (Be jealous-it is absolutely GORGEOUS!)


A toute a l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment