Thursday, January 5, 2012

Musee d'Orsay

After spending about 10 days celebrating the holidays in the US, it was time to board another plane and head back to France.  I was fortunate enough to be able to stay in Paris for 2 nights instead of one this time, so after I landed and dropped my luggage off at the hotel I headed out to the Musee d'Orsay.  The Musee d'Orsay is an old train station that's been converted into a museum; it is home to quite a selection of impressionist pieces, and it was those pieces that I was anxious and excited to see .  I really enjoy the impressionism unit that I taught back in the US, and have been dying to go see some of the pieces done by the artists that my students studied during the unit.  I was able to see some Manet, Pissaro, Sisley, Renoir, and of course, the mac daddy of them all, Monet. It was almost like another Christmas morning for me, that's how excited I was to see these works of art in person after teaching about them. I also saw some Van Gogh paintings, but as famous as he is, he really belongs to the Post-Impressionism era.  I wish I had pictures of the actual pieces themselves, but museums don't like you to photograph the paintings on display. :(  The building, however, is every bit as remarkable as the paintings, and I do have some pictures for you to look at. Enjoy!
View of the builidng


Inside!

It's just incredible that this used to be a train station

Love this clock

No comments:

Post a Comment